Cerebrial Abcess recovery

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 28 22:52:50 EST 1998

In <764jpj$989$1 at reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> "Ken Duncanson"
<duncos at ozemail.com> writes:

>Hi all,
>My name is Paul and im recovering for a cerebrial abcess since
October,,If
>anyone has any advice for me please help,,,thank you
>duncos at ozemail.com.au

My advice: first of all, take it easy--you're in convalescence!

Further advice depends on why you think you need advice.

  If it is a question of what to do to promote physical recovery, your
physician (neurosurgeon, neurologist, whatever) has probably covered
that, although like most physicians they may not have emphasized
nutrition: boost vit. C, boost essential fatty acids (cut back on
saturated fats, including the ubiquitous scam, hydrogenated oil--as in
margerine, MOST commercially promoted peanut butters, most commercial
cookies, cakes, etc., etc.), boost anti-oxidants, etc., etc.

If you have worries about cognitive functioning, you might want to get
neuropsychological testing (by a NEUROPSYCHOLOGIST!) one of these days
(no hurry; unless you want early baseline and then retest to measure
progress, you'll get a clearer picture of your strengths and weaknesses
after the dust has settled--i.e., after "acute recovery").

Since few people take the trouble to get tested before injury or
illness, there is always some uncertainty about the possibility of
changes due to injury or illness, but there are ways to estimate
general level of premorbid functioning, as well as ways to identify any
"odd" deficits that make sense in terms of the lesion location.

If you seem to be OK, testing will set your mind at ease.

If you do have some areas of weakness, you'll be able to confront them
directly and (with help) develop strategies for dealing with them.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group