Verbal Fog In The Doctors Surgery?

hillary gorman hillary at hillary.net
Mon Feb 9 21:01:55 EST 1998

On 8 Feb 1998 16:28:33 GMT,<ateasd5941 at aol.com> wrote:
*You are sitting in your doctors office and suddenly you feel like
*you are envoloped in a verbal fog?

Is this a question, or a statement? If it's a question, no, I don't. If
it's a statement, then I think it's misstated. I do not feel that way.

*You would do well to remember this: The verbal fog may have
*served the doctor well in disguising their ignorance. You know

Perhaps you should elaborate. What, in your opinion, constitutes a "verbal
fog"? I mean, I haven't had any problems understanding what my doctors are
telling me.  Are you having trouble understanding scientifc terms, anatomy
terms, or other highly technical jargon? Please, let me know. Have you
ever considered asking your doctor to explain any words you don't
understand? Once when one of my docs suggested that I take a particular
medication, he mentioned a side effect and used a word I didn't
understand. I asked what it meant, and he told me. Big deal.

*Medicine and health care is full of "tautology" ( a new word for you to
*look up to see if you agree.)

Oh, I don't think so. In my experience, health care professionals use
enough words to *extremely precisely* describe what it is they are talking
about - no more, no less.

*1% of the people in health care think, the other 99% learn by
*rote what the 1% thought about ( my opinion)
*

That's a very hostile statement to make about healthcare professionals.
Why is this your opinion? what kind of research have you done on this?

*Carol T

hillary

--
hillary gorman...........Official Token Female..........hillary at netaxs.com
 "So that's 2 T-1s and a newsfeed....would you like clues with that?"