What can you do with a BS in Biology?

Richard Hall rhall at uvi.edu
Thu Feb 12 08:44:20 EST 1998

At 3:04 AM +0000 2/12/98, Brian wrote:
>What can a person do for a career with a BS in Biology?

You (she) can do virtually anything.

Contrary to popular opinion, a college degree is generally not job
training.  Just ask the thousands of business and engineering majors
looking for jobs.  It is true that each discipline introduces one to
terminology, information structure and theory development, and skills.  But
careers...well,  getting a degree in one discipline does not burn all other
bridges.

I have taught well over 7,000 biology and chemistry majors and I can assure
you that most are not biologists, chemists, physicians, PhD's, or
laboratory technicians.  One of my very best biology graduates owns a
wonderful wood working shop and makes custom cabinets and furniture,  he is
still vitally interested in biology but his education easily transferred to
running a very successful business.  Statistically, 40-50% of the biology
majors continued their education but not necessarily in science.  Teaching,
paramedic, diving master certifications are always available.  Medicine,
health sciences, sports medicine, physical therapy, government jobs,
laboratory technicians,....literally thousands of careers benefit from a
science background.  Writers, both technical and non-technical, cartoonist
(Larsen), recreation businesses (some of my students run a white water
rafting business), there is no limit.

Many of these careers can be accessed with other college degrees, but if
your friend likes biology, she should study biology.  I have a degree in
chemistry and a BA in biology.  University Professor has become my career,
but on graduation with my BA I had four immediate job offers that might
have led else where...paths not traveled.

A career is what you make of things, they are not prepackaged.

rlh

Richard Hall
Comparative Animal Physiologist
Division of Sciences and Mathematics