Use of Pindolol in Depression

Dag Stenberg stenberg at
Thu Feb 12 16:12:09 EST 1998

Samuel M. Fredland <samfredland at> wrote:
> Does anyone have any information on the use of beta blockers like
> pindolol to augment SSRI's in the treatment of depression?  I know
> that 5HT-1A antagonists are supposed to increase overall serotonergic
> transmission and that at least one study (Berman et al, Am J
> Psychiatry 1997 154:37-43) has found that pindolol is not effective in
> hastening the onset of recovery from depression.

Previous reports (F.Artigas and his colleagues) were quite encouraging.

Dag Stenberg
Dag Stenberg     MD PhD                    stenberg at
Institute of Biomedicine		   tel: (int.+)358-9-1918532
Department of Physiology                   fax: (int.+)358-9-1918681
P.O.Box 9        (Siltavuorenpenger 20 J)
FIN-00014 University of Helsinki,Finland