need advice on pursuing a career in neuroscience

Adams Justin Brent adamsj at ibg.colorado.edu
Wed Feb 18 13:50:23 EST 1998

I am 25 years old, and I have just graduated with a degree in psychology,
and pretty decent grades.  I am interested in getting into a neuroscience
graduate school, but have some questions.  Many of the schools I have
looked at ask for a serious background in biochemisty, biology, and
mathematics.  While I have the biology background, I have not had
biochemisty (or any chemistry), and I have only had the minimum
requirement of math.  So: 1) can I get into a decent neuroscience program?
2) will I be able to get through the first year without the chemistry and
math background?  3) should I take these classes through an undergraduate
program before I apply to a graduate school?

I am also trying to decide how to use a PhD in neuroscience.  I am
extremely interested in the fuction and physiology of the human brain, and
I am leaning in the direction of neuropharmacology, either research or
administration.  If anybody has any personal experience or helpful hints
they can share, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!