Do You Think Medicine Extends Life or Not?

John H. Casada casada at uthscsa.edu
Thu Feb 19 18:11:46 EST 1998

ATeasd5941 wrote:

> To any doctor or scientist who is arrogant and ignorant enough
> to think that scientific medicine has extended life consider this;
>
> Hunza is a country of eighteen thousand people in the Himalayas.
> In this country it is not unusual for people to live to 100 and well
>  beyond in very good health.

Ah, spoiling for a fight.

Of course medicine has improved and extended life.  Your example does
nothing to address this.  Your example suggests that there are healthier
ways to live than what many on this planet experience.  I don't know too
many who would argue that.

What you have not shown is that science and medicine extend the lives of
people who live other situations.  I challenge you to show that public
health measures and antibiotics have had no impact of life-span.  The
evidence that I have seen clearly shows that it has.

Even people who live lives much different from those you describe are
living to be 100 or more.  To what do you ascribe this?  Imaging what
might happen if good lifestyles and good medicine were combined!

Regards,
John