Memory Disorder

Richard Vickery Richard.Vickery at unsw.edu.au
Thu Feb 19 19:06:12 EST 1998

Dear Colin,

As far as I know, the evidence for the effect of smart drugs
is not great.  Taking acetylcholine is also not likely to
help much if you have a balanced diet.  If you want to try
these things, I would recommend a low intake so as to avoid
other complications.

Your problem sounds very debilitating, but I think that it
is probably true that there is little medical science can do
for you at present.  There is research on memory-aiding
drugs, but these compounds are optimistically slated for
release in 15 years.

My only suggestions would relate to lifestyle.  Adequate
sleep, good nutrition, exercise and that sort of thing, as
well as avoiding excessive stress which can be detrimental
to memory.
Keeping a diary, to remind you of future commitments, and a
journal to record daily events might help provide the
continuity that you need, though it will require some
discipline.  Carrying them with you, an taking the time to
consult them might help reduce the periods of confusion.

Best wishes,

Cheers
--
Dr Richard Vickery
School of Physiology & Pharmacology, UNSW, Australia, 2052