Neuroleptic-induced brain changes

Support Coalition - David Oaks dendron at efn.org
Sat Feb 21 20:44:26 EST 1998

Are you interested in the topic of neuroleptic-induced brain changes?

Long term use of the psychiatric drugs known as the "neuroleptics"
have been associated with persistent changes in the brain, sometimes
resulting in worse emotional problems than the person had before
starting the drug.

Some of the trade names for neuroleptics in the USA include
Thorazine, Stelazine, Mellaril, Haldol. Newer ones include Clozapine,
Risperdal, etc.

The most well known change, of course, is tardive dyskinesia
(involuntary muscle movements, often permanent), especially with the
older neuroleptics.

However, even the newer neuroleptics have been associated with brain
changes and behavioral toxicity -- in crude language, drug-induced
madness. The effect of such brain changes are especially unmasked
during withdrawal, which means that quitting the drug can lead to
problems *worse* than the person had before starting the neuroleptic.

If you're interested in these topics -- such as supersensitivity
psychosis caused by neuroleptics, rebound effect, discontinuation
syndrome, random dendritic sprouting after long-term neuroleptics,
even measurable brain shrinkage after long term neuroleptics, etc. --
please e-mail us: dendron at efn.org

[For those unfamiliar with the topic, but interested, we can refer
you to several books that cover these subjects, and a growing number
of psychiatrists, neurologists, psychologists, etc. who are sounding
an alarm about this "ozone hole" of the mind.]

Especially if you have experience in the neurosciences and would like
to assist a non-profit group's research on this topic, please contact
us. We're preparing materials for our publication "Dendron." For
those interested, a sample of this human rights publication is
available.

While there is a lot of medical literature about persistent brain
changes following long-term neuroleptic use, this information has not
gotten out to the public, who we feel have a right to know.

Thanks.

			Sincerely in support,

			David Oaks, co-coordinator
			Support Coalition International
			454 Willamette, Suite 216
			PO Box 11284
			Eugene, OR 97440-3484 USA

			e-mail: dendron at efn.org
			phone:  (541) 345-9106
			fax:    (541) 345-3737
			web:    http://www.efn.org/~dendron

Support Coalition International is a non-profit alliance of 60
grassroots groups in eight countries advocating for human rights
& alternatives for people diagnosed with psychiatric disorders.