Do You Think Medicine Extends Life or Not?

John Mihic jmihic at wfubcm.edu
Mon Feb 23 09:59:37 EST 1998

In article <6cku1a$c0s at camel12.mindspring.com>, windjammer at mindspring.com
says...

>In the late 19th century, before the widespread use of penicillin, the
>average life span for a Western European or American was about 40 years of
>age.

But that average life span, factors in high infant mortality. There's no
question that average life expectancy has increased, but I think the really
interesting question is if science can affect maximal lifespan (i.e.,
keeping alive those codgers pushing 120 or so),  I doubt this has been done
yet, except in invertebrates.

John