Magnetic field strength in the human brain

d.gembris med050 at aix.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Mon Feb 23 11:39:42 EST 1998

Hallo,

has anybody ever measured the strength of the magnetic
fields induced by neuronal currents inside the human
brain? The magnetic fields strengths of single neurons and
the field strength measured outside the head (MEG method)
are well known. The mid-range, though, seems to be
unknown so far.

The information about the magnetic field strength inside
the head (it could be obtained by inserting
a SQUID in the brain during a brain operation)
would be interesting itself, but it could trigger the
development of brain imaging techniques (if it should
turn out, that the field strength is sufficiently high).

Please tell me whether I have overseen a publication
with the desired information or please measure the
magnetic field for me if you are a brain surgeon
(you needn't tell me the results before you have
published them :-) ).

Daniel Gembris
d.gembris at fz-juelich.de
Research Center Juelich/Germany