AI, OS's, and the Web

Mentifex uj797 at victoria.bc.ca
Mon Feb 23 12:52:01 EST 1998

Although Project Mentifex (Latin for "Mindmaker") on 26nov1994
released Mind.rexx (Amiga only) into the public domain as an AI
capable of conversing via keyboard input and Amiga speech output
in strictly circumscribed sentences of Subject + Verb + Object,
the ensuing attempts to port Mind.rexx into IBM mainframe REXX
and into PC Forth for talking mobile robots foundered in 1995.
(The code was too kludgey and too unwieldy; Forth was primitive.)

Now three years later in 1998, the Mind.forth subdivision of
Project Mentifex, in response to comp.robotics.misc complaints
that Mentifex is "all talk and no show," and in response to the
enlightened attitude emanating from the epicenter of Forth,
is resuming the attempts to implement the (Mentifex only) Unified
Theory of Cognition (UTC) in simple Forth for use on robots.

The new Mentifex implementation in Forth will be of the most
severely stripped-down AI mind, so that the ture geniuses and
heroes of our modern society -- the amateur robot builders --
may adapt the public domain code, INTERNALIZE the theory of mind,
and let one hundred variations rise up in robot contention:

  Hearing    Vision    Concepts Volition Emotion   Motor Output
 /iiiiiii\  /!i!i!i!\                             /YYYYYYYYYYYY\
| ||||||| || ||||||| |   T                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| || | ___ | |   +                       | |||||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  /old\  |   +                       | |S|||||||||| |
| ||||||| || (image)-|---+_                      | |H|||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||  \___/  |  /  \                     | |A|||||||||| |
| ||||||| ||         | (idea)               __   | |K|||||||||| |

This Standard Model of the Brain-Mind is in the public domain and
may be html-displayed on any Web site with a link to Mentifex AI.
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/ AI minds for uncontrollable robots.