pls feel free to forward this post.
for an html version with illustrations:
Everything (p)1998 July 11
* beginning with solipsism. Im trying to make sense of the world...
* believe in physical science (such as Newtonian mechanics)...
because science works ===> has pragmatic value
* science is based on generalization ===> can never be exhaustive
* discovery of my body (eg looking at mirror etc)...
& of other bodies (observing physical similarity)
* observe connection between my body & my consciousness
(eg hand burnt ===> pain)
* thus, existence of other minds is inferred (on scientifical basis)
* Q: where is the site of consciousness?
* extrapolation from lobotomy: as more & more brain matter is
taken away... gradual loss of consciousness & eventually complete
loss... (supported by evidence of our lack of infantile memory)
* therefore, in order to achieve immortality... the brain process
better be sustained
* other parts of the body also contribute to consciousness
(eg heart beats, orgasms etc etc)
* the fact that limbs might be amputated without significantly
altering the mind does not write off the limbs contribution to
consciousness... not unlike that brain matter could be taken away
& (possibly) be replaced by new growth
* coronary: everything (in physical world) contributes to (my)
consciousness. clouds in the sky etc etc
* if a cloud can contribute to my consciousness, it may also
contribute to "other consciousnesses" ===> everything has
* coronary: that other minds appear to be inscrutable to me, is only
because our means of interaction (language, fornication etc etc...)
* other minds... and other inanimate things previously thought to
be without consciousness (such as Barbie Doll, for that matter)...
& that humans have 5 senses is only an evolutionary contingency
yan king yin
-----== Posted via Deja News, The Leader in Internet Discussion ==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp Create Your Own Free Member Forum