Plasticity

Brian Scott brians at interlog.com
Mon Jun 1 22:39:03 EST 1998

Gernot S Doetsch wrote:

>    Much has recently been written about the plasticity of adult
>brains. Following peripheral denervation or sensorimotor training,
>significant changes can occur in the response properties of cortical
> neurons and the details of somatosensory and motor cortical maps. Do
> such physiological changes mean that the sensory or motor function of
> the affected neurons has changed accordingly? Can the "behavioral
>function" of adult mammalian neurons ever change? If so, under what
>circumstances?

I've read of neurons in the visual system becoming responsive to auditory
stimuli after denervation or sensory deprivation...details escape me.  Something
like synesthesia perhaps.  Does this count as a change in sensory function?

--
  Brian Scott          |  Bloorview Epilepsy Research Program
  brians at interlog.com  |  University of Toronto, Canada