D.E.A. studiente looking for light ....

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Tue Jun 2 23:24:03 EST 1998

Reply off top of my head  (not at work so don't have details, but want
to keep legitimate neuroscience discussion going):

Current/recent issue of Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences has
report of alternative to Vit. A based photochemical, i.e. a Vit. B-2
based photochemical which may provide  basis for retinal non-geniculate
input of light zeitgeber.  If I recall correctly, is very old and
conservered genetically, so relevant to time-setting in many species
and perhaps in plants as well.  Speculatively, might provide basis for
recent finding that light at back of knees (NOT eyes) effective for
setting circadian rhythms of SOME physiological systems.

All for now (late!).

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Group

In <3.0.32.19980602094749.00685d3c at crit2.univ-montp2.fr>
perroyj at CRIT2.UNIV-MONTP2.FR ("perroy") writes:

>Hello,
>
>I am undergraduate french studient. Among the other exams that lead
(or
>not) to PhD grant, I must sate up a research project. This project
must be
>original, feasible but will stay fictitious and won't be my
thesis'subject.
>Since I find molecular studies of rhythmic phenomena very exciting,
I'd
>like to turn my research onto the molecular events induced by light.
But my
>problem is that there are many interesting points that remain to be
studied
>and I would like to have a few tips. So I ask your advice: what is the
more
>attractive way ?
>  - Searching for light induced IEGs'targets.
>  -Implication of serotoninergic transmission in light induced
circadian
>behavioral responses (towards an experimental model of "Seasonal
Affective
>Disorder")
>  -What do you think about extraocular photoreceptors ? (see Campbell
and
>Murphy. Science; vol.279: 396-399; "Extraocular Circadian
Phototransduction