A Course on Conciousness part 2. Precognitive dreams and communication.

Neil Franklin neil at chonsp.franklin.lugs.ch
Wed Jun 3 16:34:28 EST 1998

flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) writes:
> Newsgroups: alt.dreams,alt.dreams.lucid,alt.oobe,alt.out-of-body,
>   alt.paranet.psi,bionet.neuroscience,sci.physics
>
> WRONG NEWSGROUP!
>
> In <357426a5.0 at d2o204.telia.com> "Lars Rune Foleide"
> <larsrune at sf.telia.no> writes:
> >
> >Just want to thank you for a great post.

> >>to do.
> >>It's a patient art of controlling one's own mind and that frequency
> with
> >>that of the object.  I have done very little telekinesis but enough
> >>satisfy myself that it has a potential that I will explore willingly
> till I
> >>die.

[rest snipped to save bandwidth]

A few nits I have with the 2 later posters:

1. Lars and Frank:

Would you please consider changing 2 things with your posting styles:

- firstly, respect the convention that most people read an discussion
top to bottom. So put first the post you are refering to, and then add
your additions to it.

This makes following the discussion thread a lot easier, as one can
first recall what thread you are refering to and then assimilate your
new stuff to it. This is a lot more human brain compatible than
forcing them to first read the new stuff and then only telling them
where it belongs.

- secondly, only leave in your post those parts of the message you
are explicitely referring to (or if you are refering to an entire post
just enough lines for your reader to identify which one you are
commenting on). This reduces unneccessary usage of bandwidth.

For an good example of posting style you need to look no further than
Ian Wilsons post you followed up on. He did both of these things
right. I could also suggest my humble post :-).

This one is particularly funny in the case of Frank who posts us an
full 2 copies of an post, when he is actually complaining about that
post being sent. Thanks for making an fool of yourself!

2. Frank only:

I also have 2 things you should take into account when complaining:

- firstly, when calling someone to drop whatever newsgroup you are
reading an thread in, it pays to tell them in which newsgroup that is.

As the Newsgroups: line says, this thread is being crossposted (i.e.
is visible) in 7 news groups. In some of them it is on topic, in some
not. How should any poster know which group you wished dropped if you
do not tell them? They will not drop all (= stop following up).

- secondly, sending "drop this thread" messages is considered an
stupid thing to do on Usenet.

Why? Because you simply add to the off topic messages going around!
First your own message, then any replies to your message.

And you usually do not achieve your desire anyway. Because people will
a) post the reply to your message to all groups (they don't know where
you are, so they must)
b) usually don't extend the off topic threads content by posting
replies to your post
c) when replying to other sub-threads forget to remove your group anyway.

The best you can do is to learn and accept that this is Usenet and
that both crossposting and topic drift exist. And that any thread will
die out naturally, that includes off topic ones. And that by
complaining you are just lengthening the to-you-undesirable thread.

If you do not like this then go for moderated newsgroups or mailing
lists. There you have an official that tidies it up for you. Here on
Usenet we prefer the anarchist approach without censorship. This may
not be the medium for you.

This was an public service broadcast from the net.police.selfappointed

Yours..

--
private: Neil.Franklin at ccw.ch.remove http://www.ccw.ch/Neil.Franklin/
office: franklin at arch.ethz.ch.remove http://caad.arch.ethz.ch/~franklin/