MICROWAVED FOOD IS HURTING YOU!!!

Ralph Leonhardt leo at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jun 4 03:27:06 EST 1998

On Wed, 3 Jun 1998 alex_all at usa.net wrote:

> There was a lawsuit in 1991 in Oklahoma. A woman named Norma
> Levitt had hip surgery, but was killed by a simple blood transfusion
> when a nurse "warmed the blood for the transfusion in a microwave
> oven!"
>
> Logic suggests that if heating is all there is to it, then it doesn't matter
> how something is heated. Blood for transfusions is routinely warmed,
> but not in microwave ovens. Does it not therefore follow that
> microwaving does something quite different?
>
> Normal heating of food occurs when heat goes from the outside to
> the inside. Microwaves work just the opposite. The waves go to the
> inside and then move outward. The food molecules are hit by the
> electromagnetic radiation and forced to reverse polarity up to
> 100 million times a second. That is, the molecules start spinning.
> This tears them apart and sometimes rearranges them into toxic
> substances that cause many allergic responses.
> It is this friction which produces the heat which 'cooks' the food.
>
> Unfortunately, this violent force also rips apart and deforms the
> molecular structure of the food. It is no longer 'food' - it just
> looks as though it is.
>
> The rest of this article is at
> http://health.microworld.com

Hi there,

it seems to me you got something wrong, since I don't think that Mrs.
Levitt actually ATE the blood transfusion. What must have happened is that
the blood was overheated in the microwave and thus coagulated or clotted,
which led to a clogging of the patients bloodvessels. The same thing would
have happened if the transfusion would have been heated too much in a
waterbath or whatever, only a microwave does the job much quicker, which
the nurse should have known. Anyway, at temperatures above ca. 40 degrees
Celsius proteins do denaturate which basically is what we call cooking, no
matter how the heating was done. So don't be afraid of microwaves as long
as they don't leak out of the oven.
By the way, why did you send this to bionet.neuroscience?

All the best, Leo

Ralph Leonhardt (Dipl.-Biol.)			Tel.:	+49 (0)234 700 5559
Inst. f. Neuroinformatik, Geb. ND 04/297	Fax:	+49 (0)234 709 4209
Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum
D-44780 Bochum, Germany

E-mail: ralph.leonhardt at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de