Technological Singularity

James Sharman james at exaflop.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 5 11:22:56 EST 1998

>> > servival of the superiour humans will (given enough generations)
evantualy
>> > result in the replacement of 'homo-inferious'
>>
>> But the 'homo-inferious' can still catch on by simply having more
children.
>> I think he has good chances.
>
>The basics of natural selection aren't towards "better", they are just
>towards "more" (individuals). The first derived principle is "just good

>enough" (every "feature" developed to the point where better doesn't
>mean significantly more reproductive, but because of tradeoff
>considerations "worse is better"), the second is that environments
>stabilize, and other than periodical fluctuations, there are no changes
>(and almost no development), except if secual preference selects
>ridiculous secondary sexual attributes. Since the most important
>secondary human sexual attributes are already borg-style (cars, money,
>...), there is not much place for genetical superiority.

Untrue,  natural selection favours that which is more likely to survive,  my
definition of better in this case is also 'those who are more likely to
survive'.  There are many example in the animal kingdom where more does not
equate to a greater ability for overall survival.  In any case,  natural
selection is by nature competitive,  many types of animal have died out who
would still be alive today if they had not needed to compete for resources
with another animal that fitted into a similar ecological neiche.

If the environment in which a group of animals live remains unchanged then
eventually the animals (including any intelligent animals) will stop
evolving after settling into a number of different roles.  If you change the
environment in any way (either physical or by introducing a new species)
competition will occur and evolution will once again accelerate until
eventually a new balance is obtained.

What is being discussed here is the results of introducing a race of
genetically engineered super humans into the mix. We are not talking about
an entirely new race just a bred that is in some manner better than your
every day human (intelligence, strength, attractiveness or a combination of
these). Clearly natural selection will be very complex since we are not a
bunch of animals on an African plain killing each other or hunting, however
our complex structure rather than reducing the types of resources for which
we must compete actually increases them.

examples:
1) You (being an ordinary human) go to a job interview, you think you have
done well only to discover that the job was taken by a superman with an IQ
of 400.

2) You plan to go to a party but you get a cold and dont feel up to it. A
superman doesn't get the cold because of his enhanced immune system and so
he goes to the party and meets the girl you would have met.

3) Your in a head on collision in your car with a car driven by a superman,
you both have similar injuries but you die and he lives because his enhanced
metabolism keeps him alive the crucial extra minutes on the trip to
hospital.

I could go on with examples forever.

J,