Technological Singularity

Peter da Silva peter at nmti.com
Sat Jun 6 17:06:01 EST 1998

In article <6l7ea1$p9d$1 at andros.cygnus.com>,
Bill Moyer <billm at cygnus.com> wrote:
>   Arthur is referring to what Vernor Vinge dubbed the "Technological
> Singularity", which can be generally described as the point in time
> at which a technological innovation either renders mankind incapable
> of controlling their environment, or at least exerts an irresistable
> force on humanity.

I interpret it rather as the point at which feedback from technology
becomes, from our point of view, asymptotic. We are always changing
ourselves and our environment with our technology... from the point of
view of a hunter-gathering society we are already past the event horizon.

--
In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva <peter at baileynm.com>
  `-_-'      "As the complexity of chips approaches the complexity of software.