Plasticity

DK cooper17 at nospam.xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 6 01:45:04 EST 1998

I have read that some types of chronic pain can persist long
after there is no clear indication for it. It seems the body can
"learn" pain if given enough time to associate with it. Could the
below snip also explain this?

--Katrina

Ed Ergenzinger wrote in message <35741D3E.90C81D67 at bgsm.edu>...
>  In the somatosensory system perceptual anomalies such as
>phantom limb have been linked to reorganizational changes
following
>injury.  The association between phantom sensation and
reorganized
>central maps would seem to indicate that while neurons can
acquire new receptive fields and become activated by input from
new portions of the body surface, the result of this activity is
interpreted as coming from old portions of the body surface.