Plasticity

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 7 00:32:39 EST 1998

In a very general sense, perhaps, although we have at lest inmplicitly
been considering cortical reorganization and site for chronic pain may
be thalamus or spinal cord (either or both? depending on type, etc.?)

There is a growing literature on central (Usually but not always
central = spinal cord) changes due to peripheral pain, involving
substance P, IL-1, NO, resulting in more-or-less permanent changes in
pain response if not actual spontaneous pain activity.  I think this
probably refers to enhanced excitability more than reorganization;,
HOWEVER,  I believe that in one paradigm a fairly localized insult
(e.g. formalin in one paw) can cause an enhancement so general that
pain responses to stimulation over the entire body is enhanced.

F. Frank LeFever, Ph.D.
New York Neuropsychology Groupp