Technological Singularity

phracker phracker at mwis.net
Sat Jun 6 14:40:35 EST 1998

Ketil Z Malde wrote in message ...
+AD4-ian+AEA-five-d.com (Ian Kemmish) writes:
+AD4-
+AD4APgA+- as we laugh at that fellow who observed that increases in farm
+AD4APgA+- yields was linear and population growth is exponential and pre-
+AD4APgA+- dicted massive famine in the moderate future
+AD4-
+AD4APg- I don't hear much laughter coming from Africa.
+AD4-
+AD4-Even in Africa, the vast majority have enough to eat, there are untapped
+AD4-or inefficiently used resources, and with proper technology,
+AD4-agricultural production could be increased greatly.
+AD4-

Wrong-o+ACEAIQ- You cannot simply introduce the latest technology into a
+ACI-not-so-technologically+ACI- advanced society and expect the latest
technological effeciencies.

You also have to introduce a training program to the recipients of the
technology, and slowly change the society so that adaptation of the
technology is widespread.

An example was when they started surgar cane production in Hawaii - the
locals had no problem working all day in the fields, but if the fishing was
better, they would certainly not be in the fields. This was also one example
of where technology had to be introduced and inducted into society - it was
called the clock. +ACI-Bell rings - go to fields, etc...+ACI-

Just my +ACQ-.02.
+AD4-The recurring catastrophes are a political problem, not a technical
+AD4-one.
+AD4-
+AD4Afg-kzm
+AD4---
+AD4-If I haven't seen further, it is by standing in the footprints of giants