Technological Singularity

Scott Hess scott at doubleu.com
Fri Jun 5 14:16:05 EST 1998

In article <y6g1hjkby5.fsf at tweedledumb.cygnus.com>,
	Craig Burley <burley at tweedledumb.cygnus.com> writes:
   "James Sharman" <james at exaflop.demon.co.uk> writes:
   > On a completely different track, who is to say that the eventual
   > replacement of humanity with an enhanced version is not the way
   > to go.

   That was my biggest problem with the monumentally stupid US
   television series "Prey" -- exactly why was a new race of superior
   beings a *problem*?  Half-;), of course.

Classic Star Trek plot stupidity.  If the superior race was _exactly_
like humans, but 20% (stronger|healthier|smarter|sexier|.*), then
what's the problem?  Would we even notice that we're being replaced?

Which is all quite silly.  Sure, I'd feel bad if I lost a job to a
"superior" mutant intellect.  On the other hand, I'm sure people every
day lose out on jobs because the other guy was smarter/taller/sexier.
It's not that big a deal.

And the real reason for posting:
   In any case, recent events have strongly suggested that one of the
   most likely recent scenarios of a takeover of the human race is now
   rather unlikely to take place.

   In particular, it's now pretty clear the Spice Girls can't stay
   organized over the long run.

How do you know their work isn't already done?  And are they really
gone?  [What are the connections between the movie "Fallen" and the
music groups "New Kids on the Block", "Menuedo", "Spice Girls", and
others I'm repressing?]
--
scott hess <scott at doubleu.com> (408) 739-8858 http://www.doubleu.com/
<Favorite unused computer book title: The Compleat Demystified Idiots