"Can of Worms Syndrome"

DK cooper17 at nospam.xs4all.nl
Wed Jun 10 10:36:16 EST 1998

Purely and simply a matter of finances. It could be paid for by
various systems including insurance if I had reason to think I
might actually be in danger. I very much want such a scan, but
have not yet turned up a study involving them for which I would
be applicable, this being the only way I can think of to get one
done for free.
I should also mention that I'm not looking for any sort of
diagnosis through this group; I know better than that. I'm only
seeking information on the problem itself as expressed through
research/other cases, in case I ever find out I do have it.

--Katrina

Babis Karagiannidis wrote in message
<357D24D3.2EBAFAAF at otenet.gr>...
>Why don't you try an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan,
first?

>DK wrote:
>
>> This is not really a syndrome and I do not know the official
>> terminology for it. It is an unusual, localized snarl of blood
>> vessels in the brain. My mother's brother had it, and started
>> having seizures in his twenties; they operated and left him
>> paralyzed, but that's another story (and a cruder age for
brain
>> surgery). My mother's mother had it and never developed any
>> problems, seizures or otherwise, but had it removed in the
late
>> seventies anyway, apparently because that sort of
"preventative"
>> operation was popular in the medical profession at the time.
>> I have a friend, a research psychologist, who has told me that
>> may well have this problem too, since two of my close family
>> members have (Mom's never wanted to find out if she has it, so
>> don't know). My friend also informed me that a) if I haven't
had
>> problems with it yet, I am unlikely to (I'm about 30), and b)
if
>> I ever *did* start to have problems, they would undoubtedly
come
>> on gradually, in the form of seizures and so forth. I just
wanted
>> to check on the validity of these suggestions, and find out if
>> anyone can give me either more information on this problem or
>> references to good literature that addresses it. I'd like to
know
>> how common it is, what parts of the brain, if any, it appears
>> more often in, etc.  I should mention that I'm not worried,
I'm