pushing the mind to the limit

Richard M. Hinchliffe hinchlif at neuro.usc.edu
Thu Jun 11 12:06:38 EST 1998

Hello James,
How is the weather in Philly? I graduated (BA) from Temple in 94.
Here is an interesting story regarding that "10%" fallacy.
A neuroscientist here at USC explained that he was curious as to where the
idea that we only use 10% of our brain came from.  So one year he went
around at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting asking the gathered
scientists if they knew the source of this idea.  It turned out that no
one had any idea where it came from.  After doing an extensive lit search,
he found that the idea came from a non-scientist who had written a
self-help book on memory improvement.
When people ask me about this, I say that you only use one finger to dial
a phone- does this mean that you only make use of 10% of your fingers?
Richard M. Hinchliffe