Technological Singularity

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Fri Jun 12 09:31:34 EST 1998

In article <6l9b5s$b38 at news.microsoft.com>,
Patrick Gainer <pgainer at acm.org> wrote:
>James Sharman <james at exaflop.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>897063854.14638.0.nnrp-05.c2d9a433 at news.demon.co.uk...
>>examples:
>>1) You (being an ordinary human) go to a job interview, you think you have
>>done well only to discover that the job was taken by a superman with an IQ
>>of 400.

>Just out of curiosity, what sort of job do you think someone with
>an IQ of 400 would be able to manage without going stark raving
>mad from the tedium?

Well, that depends on how you measured the IQ.  Current tests stall out at
what, 170?

The thing is, I don't think you *CAN* have an IQ which is both measurable and
over about 200 on a population this size; we'd need to have several *systems*
colonized, before the test could be scaled that far and have any meaning at
all, and even then, if we have more than a few of them, the IQ score will be
a lot lower as they push the curve.  :)

-s
Copyright '98, All rights reserved.  Peter Seebach / seebs at plethora.net
C/Unix wizard, Pro-commerce radical, Spam fighter.  Boycott Spamazon!
Not speaking for my employer.  Questions on C/Unix?  Send mail for help.
Visit my new ISP <URL:http://www.plethora.net/> --- More Net, Less Spam!