ANN, nonlinear dynamics, and psychoses

Patrick Wray pwray at ozemail.com.au
Sun Jun 14 19:42:24 EST 1998

Willem H. Rijks wrote in message <3584DF62.76F9 at unet.univie.ac.at>...
>Hello
>I am a medical student (PhD), and familiar with ANN. Now I am working on
>the following thesis.
>"Can psychotic behavior be explained by non-linear (chaotic) functioning
>of the brain?"
>If you have a opinion concerning this topic,please let me know!
>Also if you want to discuss! or criticize...
>Or if you know literature...
>etc

For an interesting contribution to the understanding of psychoses, see R D
Laing's early work, particularly "The Divided Self" - a study of the
schizoid personality and the borderline between sanity and psychosis. The
aim of the book is to "make the process of going mad comprehensible" - and
in this it succeeds far beyond [my] expectations. This is an interesting
(not incompatible) supplement to an understanding of the biological
correlates ("causes" may or may not be going too far) of psychoses.