optic nerve info. wanted

Richard Norman rsnorman at mw.mediaone.net
Mon Jun 15 11:53:09 EST 1998

In article <6m3f3i$jtp$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, aquila1 at hotmail.com says...

>Hello everyone,
>
>I am working on a little project and need to know information / sources of
>information regarding any work done on mapping the axons of the human optic
>nerve.  Specifically, I need to know everything that happens after an image is
>processed by the retina.  I.e., is a certain color and frequency and spatial
>location assigned to each specific axon ?  Any help you can give me is greatly
>appreciated.  Please don't respond at too technical a level as I am not a
>neuroscientist but an amateur.
>Thanks,
>Sam
>samuel.mason at ericsson.com

There is an awful lot of stuff on optic nerve fibers, but I am not sure
how much specifically on humans.  If you don't wan't too technical an
answer, your best bet is first to sit in a good library and browse whatever
they have on introductory neurobiology or vision. Also physiology texts
also have sections on sensory information processing and vision.

Depending on how much background you need, you might even start with a
good college level intro biology text to give you the background to read
the others.

It is hard to know exactly what you want from your question.  You ask
about "everything that happens after an image is processed by the retina".
That means, everything in the CNS, mostly visual cortex, and that means
a lot, indeed.  On the other hand, you ask about axons in the optic nerve,
and that means "everything that happens inside the retina".  That is,
the information sent to the brain in the optic nerve depends on the
circuits in the retina itself, not in the CNS.

Your question about "frequency" suggests that the search for data is
somewhat confused with the auditory system.  Watch out!  Getting involved
in "spatial" frequency analysis is far more technical than you want!

What you want is information on the "receptive field" properties of
retinal ganglion cells.

Good luck.