ANN, nonlinear dynamics, and psychoses

Patrick Juola patrick at
Mon Jun 15 05:05:19 EST 1998

In article <3584DF62.76F9 at> "Willem H. Rijks" <a9703595 at> writes:
>I am a medical student (PhD), and familiar with ANN. Now I am working on
>the following thesis.
>"Can psychotic behavior be explained by non-linear (chaotic) functioning
>of the brain?"

No.  "Non-linear" does not mean "chaotic"; almost all artificial
networks that have been built are composed of non-linear elements
(as linear networks don't scale to multiple layers -- obligatory
reference to Minsky and Papert (1969)).

So you need to tighten up your mathematical models (and terminology)