optic nerve info. wanted

Adriano Botelho abotelho at mpcnet.com.br
Wed Jun 17 02:32:30 EST 1998

I suggest you begin with Kandel E, Schwartz R "Principles of Neuroscience"
3rd ed. (or would it be Neural Sciences?).

You want to know exactly HOW the visual information is transduced (from
light to cell potentials) at the retina and how this information is encoded
and transmitted through the optic nerve to the cerebral cortex.  It's a
rather complex system, but I think most, if not all, information coming from
the retina is in the form of "frequency of action potentials" along the
nerve's neurons.  The passage from light to those action potentials is
something really complex.

Besides the interactions (of the ganglion cells) responsible by the
receptive fields (including inhibitory activity from specialized cells),
there are cells more sensitive to some light wavelength, and other cells
more sensitive to other.

The entire system is so complex that we study its basic properties, but few
people test joining all the properties to assemble (computer) models and
verify whether we know all the necessary properties for it to work or not.

--
Abraço/Hug,

Adriano
http://www2.mpc.com.br/users/a/abotelho