pushing the mind to the limit

June Seek Choi jschoi at lessing.oit.umass.edu
Fri Jun 19 02:12:32 EST 1998

I think the "10%" theory came from the fact that some people are 10 times
smarter than others and it is from a wishful thinking that somehow they
could be as smart as those fractions of people given the same biological
organ. :)

Richard M. Hinchliffe (hinchlif at neuro.usc.edu) wrote:
: Hello James,
: How is the weather in Philly? I graduated (BA) from Temple in 94.
: Here is an interesting story regarding that "10%" fallacy.
: A neuroscientist here at USC explained that he was curious as to where the
: idea that we only use 10% of our brain came from.  So one year he went
: around at the annual Society for Neuroscience meeting asking the gathered
: scientists if they knew the source of this idea.  It turned out that no
: one had any idea where it came from.  After doing an extensive lit search,
: he found that the idea came from a non-scientist who had written a
: self-help book on memory improvement.
: When people ask me about this, I say that you only use one finger to dial
: a phone- does this mean that you only make use of 10% of your fingers?
: Richard M. Hinchliffe
: