Broca's area

Harald Teepe Harald.Teepe at post.rwth-aachen.de
Fri Jun 19 14:37:48 EST 1998

Referring to

Kim, Karl H. S. et al.: Distinct cortical areas associated with native
and
second languages. In: Nature. Vol. 388, 10 July 1997.

which conclusion might one draw concerning language interference
phenomena? Comparing the results of topographic specialization within
multilingual subjects, i.e. "early bilinguals" with "late bilinguals",
who
might profit of language interference? Is there any relevance concerning

didactics - especially second language acquisition? The article only
treats persons who speak two languages. Looking at persons who
speak three or four different languages of which one language can be
regarded as the mother tongue and the other three as 'late' acquired,
will there be an appropriate number of different areas in the Broca's
area each relating to one of the other languages? In other words, will
there be four distinct areas each representing a language? Finally I
would like to know to what degree these distinct areas contain infor-
mation on different languages (Are there other areas which store
additional language information? / Can one separate grammar from
vocabulary?).

If you have an idea on one of my questions please let me know. If
possible please include the article/book/etc. you refer to.

H. Teepe