Technological Singularity

Hamish McKenzie s343124 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Jun 22 02:15:52 EST 1998

Craig Burley wrote:

> "Ian J. Lewis" <ian.lewis3 at virgin.net> writes:
>
> > Evolution is a mythology.  As the biosphere develops -
> > so do its constituent parts.  We are part of this oneness.
>
> Really?
>
> > Next you will be saying that the foetus was replaced by
> > the baby by natural selection;
>
> No, I won't.
>
> Hmm, if we are part of this oneness, how come you didn't *know*
> I wouldn't?
>
> > when all along it was a mere
> > unfolding into matter through time.
>
> In essence, all things built out of matter are merely a bunch of
> tiny particles believed to be interacting in accordance with some
> pre-defined laws -- which nobody has been able to explain in terms
> of where those laws came from, how they were designed, who designed
> them, and why.  (Not that plenty of speculation hasn't been offered.)
>
> In fact, the Big Bang never happened -- this is all just one of
> many billions of simulations being tried before the actual experiment
> being done.  :)
>
> Still, though we might wish to view all evolutional arguments as
> being "merely" a matter of who produces the most grandchildren,
> and further dumb it down to just a bazillion particles interacting,
> I find that, in practice, it's worthwhile considering the higher-
> level mechanisms that might be operating.  Even though these
> mechanisms almost certainly have no direct support in the material
> world, they do seem to be abstractions with some potentially useful
> "weight" in the field of product design and distribution.

Hmm, I'm not sure you should be so sure about that.  After all, there
are many areas of science which cannot be explained by the fundamental
laws.  These phenomena require, by their very nature, the theory of
higher level abstractions.  Thermodynamics rules this hill.  But fluid
mechanics, which is essentially meteorology, economics etc...  And
although they have an underlying structure, the global behaviour cannot
be explained without these theories in terms of mathematical logic.

So I don't think its valid to say that everything is merely tiny
particles interacting...

--
Hamish McKenzie

    visit me at:  http://student.uq.edu.au/~s343124