Broca's area

Cijadrachon cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Mon Jun 22 20:05:49 EST 1998

> It's killing me that I can't recall the name of the
>resercher ...
Just go on thinking about it...

>Another consideeration re "different areas": there is also the idea
>that the right hemisphere may be more involved at the level of initial
>learning of a new language, mimicry, etc., but eventual consolidation
>in the left hemisphere when well-learned and routine.

Only time I saw the language structurer for me it was like a dark
island left front, but nothing I recall right front, though I do not
exclude that there is something.
And speaking coming in is different.

Same for reading.
Therea are a lot of English words that I learned by reading and for
years knew them, but did not know what way they are pronounced, and
then, f.e. when I was in England for some weeks and someone would say
something, it sometimes was like wondering what that meant, and then
realizing that it must be the way a certain words was pronounced - and
sometimes I had guessed quite wrongly how they might be pronounced,
and then it took me quite a bit to "fit" the word.

There are words that I can learn by hearing, and words that I can
learn by reading, and maybe they are not in my speaking vocabulary,
but I understand them when I hear them.

Might sound odd, but if I tell some other mammals stuff, there are
some who are able to store quite a bit of my terms, too,
same as with a lot of sounds of cats and from some others know what
these sound-"words" mean, without being able to do them myself.

Also I know a boy who is one year, and he is understanding quite a
bit.
You can ask him: "Where is the duck?" Or: "Where is the ball?" And he
will point at quite some you name.
Though he cannot speak those words yet.

...I do not know what my "passive vocabulary" (understanding, f.e.
when written) in English is, but if I should take a guess it outrange
my "active vocabulary" (tending to use when speaking) by thousands of
words.

In German maybe even more, as there is the "old German" (don't know in
English...: Konjunktiv, alte Dativvorm mit "e" am Ende, ...holdes
Antlitz... / Frank ... und wohlgemut hob er an zu sprechen: Garstig
Unhold, heb' er sich von hinnen...")

So by feeling I'd say that undrstanding and speaking is not necesarily
the same.
And when writing English it has happened to me frequently that I read
the sentence  and it simply looks wrong.
Like a pattern identification proclaiming to me that that is a weird
pattern.
And with the help of that " pattern recognition" I sometimes manage to
get the right or at least a better version.
(though often I also have the distinct feeling that my English is
wrong in many places but do not know what is wrong.)

That with the thalamus sounded interesting.
What does it do apart from motoric stuff?

Different topics:

- .Noticed that if I keep jumping between English and German every few
sentences my grammar seems to deteriorate in both.

- Once on LSD I started altering my (all horribly German sounding)
versions of English, discovering to my surprise that they sounded at
least a bit closer to how they should be according to memory or real
English, and that I could tune to different English speaking places
versions of English pronounciation and sentence melodies faster than
normally.
 ...Though still far from the original...
I regret that here they wait till the end of childhood before teaching
other languages.

- There were two girls who had both been to Germany for two years and
then returned to the USA..
The older (learning time 6-7) had nearly a perfect German grammar, but
a powerful American accent.
The younger (4-5) made far more grammar mistakes, but she sounded
German.

For me there is something very fascinating to that,
especially as if I am not mistaken the parents said that in Germany
both children were a lot together.

Though not concerning language  I do recall the age of 6 as a distinct
"transit age" and know from baby-sitting that it is in other children,
too.

There are vast changes in that age inside, before and afterwards
children tend to be different in many aspects...