FWD: Re: META: Re: noise of Eugene Leitl

Eugene Leitl eugene at liposome.genebee.msu.su
Thu Jun 25 13:34:53 EST 1998

CONTENT-TRANSFER-ENCODING: quoted-printable
From: Heiko Schlichting <heiko at cis.fu-berlin.de>
To: Eugene Leitl <eugene at liposome.genebee.msu.su>, abuse at fu-berlin.de
Cc: neur-sci at dl.ac.uk
Subject: Re: META: Re: noise of Eugene Leitl
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:20:02 +0200

Eugene Leitl wrote:
> The problem is pollution of a once useful newsgroup with wacko posts,=
 most
> notably Christiane's.

I really understand the problem. But "pollution of a useful newsgroup" =
is
not easy to measure and therefore not abuse in the traditional sense.
With these posts it is not worth the try to go to the legal department
of the university for banning a person and cancel her enrolment.

> Killfiles and mailfilters are not a default part of most mailclients,=

> and are mostly not straightward to set up. It would seem inapproriate=
> impose the filtering load on the victims while protecting the offende=
r.

An Alternative for filtering at the news -> mail gateway is:
make the newsgroup moderated.

>  > Germany is a free country, everyone is allowed to study and it is
>  > impossible to ban someone from a university because of opinions so=
me
>  > person do not like.
>
> Not quite. The behaviour of Christiane would have (after a warning) w=
ould
> long have led to the suspension of her account in other parts of Germ=
any,
> e.g. Bavaria.

If this is true, I'm proud to be in Berlin. [Although I'm not happy abo=
ut
the nonsense articles sind to the newsgroup/mailinglist.] But in Berlin=
,
especially at the Freie Universit=E4t Berlin which was found for this
reason, freedom of thinking and speach is very important. This also mea=
ns
that we have to live with few persons who overuse their rights a little=
 bit.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting       | Freie Universitaet Berlin
heiko at FU-Berlin.DE      | Zentraleinrichtung fuer Datenverarbeitung (ZE=
DAT)
Telefon +49 30 838-4327 | Fabeckstrasse 32
Telefax +49 30 838-6721 | D-14195 Berlin