Archive for Papers in Cognitive and Biobehavioral Sciences

Stevan Harnad harnad at phoenix.princeton.edu
Thu Jun 25 12:47:25 EST 1998

In article <SPR980618211046-10870 at kauri.vuw.ac.nz> you write:
>David Smith wrote:
>>
>> Thank God, it is finally happening.  I have long wished to have access
>> to the peer-reviewed articles and academic literature.  I hope that this
>> continues and grows.
>>
>> Stevan Harnad wrote:
>> a>
>> a> To all cognitive and biobehavioral scientists:
>> a>
>> a> You are invited to archive your preprints and reprints in the
>> a> CogPrints electronic archive.
>
>It's a very good thing.
>But, what's about the copyrights?
>Most attempts in the past failed because of this problem, I guess.
>First one has to convince the publishers to free the electronic
>distribution of manuscripts.

See the model for CogPrints, the Los Alamos Physics Archive:

http://xxx.lanl.gov

That archive, presently in its 8th year and growing, already contains
well over 50% of the current physics literature without a single murmur
from anyone about copyright.

The reason is very clear: The authorship and readership of the papers
in that archive is the world physics community, and that community has
no wish whatsoever to deprive itself of free access to the papers it
writes and archives there. Any attempt to prevent that would simply be
in direct conflict with the interests of that community. Who has any
interest in trying to go against those interests? Certainly no one who
is making a fair living out of publishing and distributing as print
periodicals the papers written BY that community, FOR that community,
and given over to the publishers, along with copyright, free of charge
and with no wish for royalty -- a situation dramatically unlike the
case of textbooks and learned monographs (same authors, same readers),
where there is a shared interest on the part of both author and
publisher in distributing the text for fee rather than for free.

This is the difference between the trade and the nontrade learned
research literature. Here are some references for sorting out the
moderately complex and thoroughly modern issues involved. Just
asking "what about copyright? won't do it.

Stevan Harnad                     harnad at cogsci.soton.ac.uk
Professor of Psychology           harnad at princeton.edu
Director,                         phone: +44 1703 592582
Cognitive Sciences Centre         fax:   +44 1703 594597

Department of Psychology          http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/
University of Southampton         http://www.princeton.edu/~harnad/
Highfield, Southampton            ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/
SO17 1BJ UNITED KINGDOM           ftp://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/pub/harnad/

Ginsparg, P. (1994) First Steps Towards Electronic Research
Communication. Computers in Physics. (August, American Institute of
Physics).  8(4): 390-396.
http://xxx.lanl.gov/blurb/

Harnad, S. (1979) Creative disagreement. The Sciences 19: 18 - 20.

Harnad, S. (ed.) (1982) Peer commentary on peer review: A case study in
scientific quality control, New York: Cambridge University Press.

Harnad, S. (1984) Commentaries, opinions and the growth of scientific
knowledge. American Psychologist 39: 1497 - 1498.

Harnad, S. (1985) Rational disagreement in peer review. Science,
Technology and Human Values 10: 55 - 62.

Harnad, S. (1986) Policing the Paper Chase. (Review of S. Lock, A
difficult balance: Peer review in biomedical publication.)
Nature 322: 24 - 5.

Harnad, S. (1990) Scholarly Skywriting and the Prepublication Continuum
of Scientific Inquiry. Psychological Science 1: 342 - 343 (reprinted in
Current Contents 45: 9-13, November 11 1991).
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad90.skywriting.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad90.skywriting.html

Harnad, S. (1991) Post-Gutenberg Galaxy: The Fourth Revolution in the
Means of Production of Knowledge. Public-Access Computer Systems Review
2 (1): 39 - 53 (also reprinted in PACS Annual Review Volume 2
1992; and in R. D. Mason (ed.) Computer Conferencing: The Last Word. Beach
Holme Publishers, 1992; and in: M. Strangelove & D. Kovacs: Directory of
Electronic Journals, Newsletters, and Academic Discussion Lists (A.
Okerson, ed), 2nd edition. Washington, DC, Association of Research
Libraries, Office of Scientific & Academic Publishing, 1992); and
in Hungarian translation in REPLIKA 1994; and in Japanese in "Research
and Development of Scholarly Information Dissemination Systems 1994-1995.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad91.postgutenberg.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad91.postgutenberg.html

Harnad, S. (1992) Interactive Publication: Extending the
American Physical Society's Discipline-Specific Model for Electronic
Publishing. Serials Review, Special Issue on Economics Models for
Electronic Publishing, pp. 58 - 61.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad92.interactivpub.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad92.interactivpub.html

Harnad, S. (1995) Electronic Scholarly Publication: Quo Vadis?
Serials Review 21(1) 78-80 (Reprinted in Managing Information
2(3) 31-33 1995)
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad95.quo.vadis.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad95.quo.vadis.html

Harnad, S. (1995) The PostGutenberg Galaxy: How To Get There From Here.
Information Society 11(4) 285-292. Also appeared in:
Times Higher Education Supplement. Multimedia. P. vi. May 12 1995.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/THES/thes.html

Harnad, S. (1995) Sorting the Esoterica from the Exoterica: There's
Plenty of Room in Cyberspace: Response to Fuller.
Information Society 11(4) 305-324. Also appeared in:
Times Higher Education Supplement. Multimedia. P. vi. June 9 1995.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/THES/harful1.html

Harnad, S. (1995) Universal FTP Archives for Esoteric Science and
Scholarship:  A Subversive Proposal. In: Ann Okerson & James O'Donnell
(Eds.) Scholarly Journals at the Crossroads; A Subversive Proposal for
Electronic Publishing. Washington, DC., Association of Research
Libraries, June 1995.
http://cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/subvert.html
ftp://ftp.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/pub/psycoloquy/Subversive.Proposal/

Harnad, S. (1995) Interactive Cognition: Exploring the Potential of
Electronic Quote/Commenting. In: B. Gorayska & J.L. Mey (Eds.) Cognitive
Technology: In Search of a Humane Interface. Elsevier. Pp. 397-414.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad95.interactive.cognition.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/
harnad95.interactive.cognition.html

Harnad, S. (1996) Implementing Peer Review on the Net:
Scientific Quality Control in Scholarly Electronic Journals. In:
Peek, R. & Newby, G. (Eds.) Scholarly Publishing: The Electronic
Frontier.  Cambridge MA: MIT Press. Pp. 103-118.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad96.peer.review.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad96.peer.review.html

Harnad, S. (1997) How to Fast-Forward Serials to the Inevitable and
the Optimal for Scholars and Scientists. Serials Librarian 30: 73-81.
[Reprinted in C. Christiansen & C. Leatham, Eds.  Pioneering New Serials
Frontiers: From Petroglyphs to CyberSerials. NY: Haworth Press.
and in French as "Comment Accelerer l'Ineluctable Evolution des Revues
Erudites vers la Solution Optimale pour les Chercheurs et la Recherche"]
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad97.learned.serials.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad97.learned.serials.html
http://www.enssib.fr/eco-doc/harnadinteg.html
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad97.revues.francais.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad97.revues.francais.html

Harnad, S. (1997) The Paper House of Cards (And Why It Is Taking So Long
To Collapse). Ariadne 8: 6-7.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/
harnad97.paper.house.ariadne.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/
harnad97.paper.house.ariadne.html
http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue8/harnad/

arnad, S. (1997) Learned Inquiry and the Net:
The Role of Peer Review, Peer Commentary and Copyright.
Antiquity 71: 1042-1048 Excerpts also appeared in the University
of Toronto Bulletin: 51(6) P. 12.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad97.antiquity.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad97.antiquity.html
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad97.toronto.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad97.toronto.html

Harnad, S. & Hemus, M. (1997) All Or None: No Stable Hybrid
or Half-Way Solutions for Launching the Learned Periodical Literature
into the PostGutenberg Galaxy. In Butterworth, I. (Ed.)
The Impact of Electronic Publishing on the Academic Community.
London: Portland Press. Pp. 18-27.
http://www.cogsci.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Papers/Harnad/harnad97.hybrid.pub.html
ftp://ftp.princeton.edu/pub/harnad/Harnad/HTML/harnad97.hybrid.pub.html

Odlyzko, A.M. (1995) Tragic loss or good riddance? The impending
demise of traditional scholarly journals, International Journal of
Human-Computer Studies (formerly International Journal of Man-Machine
Studies), 42 (1995), 71-122. Condensed version in Notices of the
Amercan Mathematical Society, 42 (Jan. 1995),  49-53.
http://www.research.att.com/~amo/doc/complete.html

Okerson A. & O'Donnell, J. (Eds.) (1995) Scholarly Journals at the

--

            sci.psychology.research is a moderated newsgroup.