Trolling for Geniuses (Yo! Picasso!)

Marc Read Marc at rauko.demon.co.uk
Thu Jun 25 16:38:58 EST 1998

Bryan J. Maloney <bjm10 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>In article <UN9ysBAJt9j1EwHz at rauko.demon.co.uk>, Marc Read
><Marc at rauko.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Bryan J. Maloney <bjm10 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> >I also consider Latin to
>> >be useful for historians and antiquarians.  It's dead.  No natural
>> >scientist needs it these days.
>>
>> True... Greek is *far* more useful for understanding etymologies and
>> nuances of words.
>
>Haven't had to trace etymologies once in my decade of working at the
>cutting edge of molecular biology, thank you very much.  So, how many
>vaccines have *you* helped design?

Hmm. And I frequently finds it helps my students to understand concepts
and to learn otherwise hard vocabulary. How many high school pupils have
*you* enthused about science recently?

Followups set.

Marc

<Note for the hard of humour: please note the implicit smiley.>

--
Marc Read  <>< <*>          Whoe'er would search the starry sky,
marc at rauko.demon.co.uk      Its secrets to divine, sir,