Trolling for Geniuses (Yo! Picasso!)

Richard Kerr kerrr at CRYPTIC.RCH.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Thu Jun 25 19:42:33 EST 1998

At 10:58 25/06/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In article <UN9ysBAJt9j1EwHz at rauko.demon.co.uk>, Marc Read
><Marc at rauko.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Bryan J. Maloney <bjm10 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> >I also consider Latin to
>> >be useful for historians and antiquarians.  It's dead.  No natural
>> >scientist needs it these days.
>>
>> True... Greek is *far* more useful for understanding etymologies and
>> nuances of words.
>
>Haven't had to trace etymologies once in my decade of working at the
>cutting edge of molecular biology, thank you very much.  So, how many
>vaccines have *you* helped design?

people, people, people!!!

stop this snapping at one another.  Bryan, this isn't a grant interview, so
you can stash that tired old 'cutting edge' comment.....vaccine design isn't
the be all and end all, although I must admit that it IS fascinating.

>It's dead.  No natural
>> >scientist needs it these days.  This is a big stretch.  Have you spoken
to any zoologists or botanists lately ?  Yes, I know that you could counter
with the "you don't need to take observational approaches to phylogeny any
more, just look at the DNA" argument but none the less, the bigger the
toolbox, the more work can be done....Latin is just another tool.

Also, I gather that whole disciplines are devoted to studying things that
are dead....anthropology and history come to mind immediately, I'm sure that
there are others.

let's have a little more constructive comment...or some winky smilies to
tell everyone that you're joking.

Richard Kerr.
The Murdoch Institute,
R.C.H. Flemington Rd, Parkville, 3052,
AUSTRALIA.
kerrr at cryptic.rch.unimelb.edu.au
Phone (61) 3 9345 5045.
FAX   (61) 3 9348 1391.
'The most interesting things about vertebrates occur in the neural crest.'
	Peter Thorogood.