Spelling (was "Re: What Is hypercentilation?")

pspangle at worldnet.att.net pspangle at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jun 29 07:41:19 EST 1998

Rather than chiding the neuroscientifically challenged for not checking
spelling, look on it as a data point in auditory psychology.  If Ben Smit was
only presented with the word "hyperventilation" orally and had never heard it
before, he might well _hear_ "hypercentilation" and, for all he knows, there
might _be_ a word "hypercentilation" that means something different from
"hyperventilation."

What you hear depends not only on the sequence of vibrations that reach your
ears, but also on your previous experiences -- just as occurs in the visual
channel.

Patrick Spangler