Spelling (was "Re: What Is hypercentilation?")

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Mon Jun 29 21:30:45 EST 1998

In <6n821f$sq9$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com> pspangle at worldnet.att.net writes:

>Rather than chiding the neuroscientifically challenged for not
checking
>spelling, look on it as a data point in auditory psychology.  If Ben
Smit was
>only presented with the word "hyperventilation" orally and had never
heard it
>before, he might well _hear_ "hypercentilation" and, for all he knows,
there
>might _be_ a word "hypercentilation" that means something different
from
>"hyperventilation."
>
>What you hear depends not only on the sequence of vibrations that
reach your
>ears, but also on your previous experiences -- just as occurs in the
visual
>channel.
>
>Patrick Spangler

Gee, I dimly remember hearing someone say something like that...in
Psych 101....OH, YES--it was me; I said that!

Of course, of course, of course: the reason for his initial error is
too obvious even to mention.  I am more perplexed by his subsequent
error, timidity, or intellectual laziness.

Given the grave seriousness of the problem, shouldn't he have made at
least some effort to ascertain whether he had heard this strange new
term correctly?  e.g., "What was that, doc? Did you say
hypercentilation??  How do you spell that?"

These newsgroups are full of people who do not take the first minimal
step (checking spelling, checking local library, etc.) before throwing
themselves on the kindness of strangers.

>In article <6n63rc$nhq at sjx-ixn10.ix.netcom.com>,
>  flefever at ix.netcom.com(F. Frank LeFever) wrote:
>>

>> One of many, many desperate seekers seeking without first checking
the
>> spelling (cf. chap looking for "coroid" plexus, another looking for
>> "Hughinton's disease", etc., etc.):  hyper VENT ilation (i.e.,
>> hyperventilation).  If you look under correct spelling you will see
>> references going back many decades--in almost any medical,
psychiatric,
>> or psychological text in almost any library.
>>
>> Means simply "ventilating" too much--i.e. breathing too rapidly and
>> shallowly.  May begin as an expression of anxiety, but it then
produces
>> physiological changes which will perpetuate anxiety.
>>
>> REMEDY: breath slowly and deeply.  For ex., count slowly to four
while
>> inhaling, hold breath for 2-3 seconds, slowly exhane.  Repeat.
Again.