Working memory localization in hippocampus

K C Cheng kccheng at postoffice.idirect.com
Fri Mar 13 18:53:47 EST 1998

austin seo wrote:
> =

> I didn't think anyone considered the hippocampus to be involved in
> "working" memory...I always thought the dogma was the involvement of th=
> prefrontal cortex...
> =

> Lab wrote:
> =

> > A few weeks ago I remember reading something on this newsgroup about
> > work with evoked potentials to localize the function (or role) of
> > hippocampus in working memory.  However, I have found little in the
> > literature about hippocampus and working memory, and even less about
> > using EPs to explore that issue. Can someone point me the right
> > direction?
> =

> --
> =

> Austin Seo (Hae Jin)
> =

> Graduate Programme in Neuroscience
> Centre for Molecular Medicine and Therapeutics
> e-mail: haejin at netinfo.ubc.ca
Re. Working memory:
The most scientific theory on this is derived from the fact that the
various primary sensory cortices( e.g. vision, smell, hearing, etc.) =

are the most immedidate  sites to receive the most intense sensory
inputs from their respective pathways.  Hence, the primary visual
cortices are the primary  vision memory sites,  auditory cortices being
the primary memory sites for auditory memories, etc.     Then,  such
primary memories radiate out into the various association areas, and
other more distant areas of the brain.    From Penfield's experiments, =

evidently  these primary memories converge into associated memories in
areas where for instance,  the visual and auditory fibers come
together.  When  such an area  was stimulated by electrodes,  the
patient recalled both voices and visions associated with specific events
of the past.  The frontal and prefrontal areas  which are believed to be
engaged  also in thinking, etc, as with many other parts of the brain;
of course depend on the activation of various primary memory sites such
as the visual cortices for visual recall,  etc., =

for thoughts to have the necessary memory pieces [ for thought
formation].  These processes as a whole provide what is sensed to be
"working memory."   Otherwise, memories would not be  "working."  =

Explained in my future volumes, but an  introduction is at =

http://webhome.idirect.com/~kccheng
 =

-- =

kccheng:=B9=BF=C2=F7=F7=F7=F7=F7=A5=BB=BC=A7