decoding the human brain

Emmanuel Garcia garciae at poly.polytechnique.fr
Sun Mar 15 17:50:52 EST 1998

Is there research currently carried out in order to understand which
areas of the brain are involved when thinking about some specific
subject, and ultimately to be able to read one's thoughts by translating
the electric potential field of the brain ?

I've heard about studies trying to locate rougly which areas of the
brain are involded when speaking, writing, thinking of images and
so on using such techniques as tomography. Are there equivalent studies
trying to correlate the potential field on the surface of the head
with the kind of thoughts one is having ?

Is it possible to have a reverse approach, i.e. is it possible to
set a field of electric potential on the surface of the head (and
even inside using microwaves ??) and ask the subject what he/she is
thinking about ?

Thank you for giving these questions some attention and sorry
if I'm completely off-topic or if all this is nonsense, but I'm
still dreaming of a direct human/machine interface.

Emmanuel Garcia
garciae at poly.polytechnique.fr