decoding the human brain

K C Cheng kccheng at postoffice.idirect.com
Mon Mar 16 07:07:36 EST 1998

Emmanuel Garcia wrote:

> Is there research currently carried out in order to understand which
> areas of the brain are involved when thinking about some specific
> subject, and ultimately to be able to read one's thoughts by translating
> the electric potential field of the brain ?
>
> I've heard about studies trying to locate rougly which areas of the
> brain are involded when speaking, writing, thinking of images and
> so on using such techniques as tomography. Are there equivalent studies
> trying to correlate the potential field on the surface of the head
> with the kind of thoughts one is having ?
>
> Is it possible to have a reverse approach, i.e. is it possible to
> set a field of electric potential on the surface of the head (and
> even inside using microwaves ??) and ask the subject what he/she is
> thinking about ?
>
> Thank you for giving these questions some attention and sorry
> if I'm completely off-topic or if all this is nonsense, but I'm
> still dreaming of a direct human/machine interface.
>
> Emmanuel Garcia
> garciae at poly.polytechnique.fr
Just like the TV signals being the same in  field strength and
wavelength and yet constantly carrying totally different contents,  or
the nerve impulses from the same optic nerve carrying different visual
messages,   brain surface electric potentials would not vary in a
content-specific manner.  The same brain surface electric field would
carry totally diverse information and therefore thoughts.
The reverse,  i.e. having an electric field atop a person's brain,
would allow him to sense the thoughts, if any, contained in this surface
electric field.   But, if no brainwave-frequency information,  or
thoughts,  are contained in that field,  the person would sense only
some sort of an electric field, nothing else.
Some relevant info at
http://webhome.idirect.com/~kccheng
--
kccheng:¹¿Â÷÷÷÷÷¥»¼§