To All You Scientists Out There.

John H. Casada casada at uthscsa.edu
Thu Mar 19 09:53:57 EST 1998

cijadra at zedat.fu-berlin.de wrote:

> - In the West they tend to not use the senses that are so important
> for perceiving the universe.
> They convey a sense-crippling, not mystical impressions to me...
> Apart from some of their theories.
> Though that might be the same. They do not get it because they refuse
> to use most of their senses and restrict themselves to the few the
> Catholics allowed them to keep. And that is why a lot seems mysterious
> to them.

You seem to misunderstand my post.  The initiator of this thread seemed
to imply that scientist LACK a certain appreciation of the mysterious.
You seem to make the opposite argument.

Your mention of the Catholic church in this context is a mystery to me.
I sounds like you carry alot of religious baggage around with you.

> Yeah, they have A "view"... But most seem to not even be able to get
> much stuff apart from colours in via their eyes, not to talk about
> other perception areas...  So the mystical view might be quite
> accurate.
> Recently read one where some "scientist" was amazed that one tree
> changed stuff because another did, though they were a bit away from
> each other "and the roots were not connected" - lol!
> Actually many "true Westies" have a far-going sense of mystery for
> nature, regarding stuff as mysterious that has been known for tens of
> thousands of years.

You also seem to miss the point of science.  Science deals in facts that
can be empirically verified.  It deals with quantifiable perceptions
that can easily be shared.  Science is built by consensus, not by
idiosyncratic experience.

Scientists on the other hand are different than you describe.  When
functioning as a scientist, they attempt objectivity. They work for
predictability and precision in their work.  Outside of their work, they
are painters, poets, authors, worshippers, lovers of art, lovers, etc.
just like all other humans.  To characature them as simply scientists
shows little understanding of people.

As for your example, it seems that it is you who have lost the wonder of
nature when you blandly accept that plants communicate.  The scientist
is far more in tune with the wondrous complexity of nature in his sense
of awe over even such a seemingly simple phenomenon.

You may find satisfaction in your lack of curiosity.  It is your
choice.  Your criticism of others for their joy in their own curiosity
is unjust.

John