Working memory

marcello spinella optimism32 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:16:26 EST 1998

It  makes sense that something held in working memory will be encoded into LTM to
some degree as well, since it probably is salient. My only question to this would
be: can someone without a hippocampus (e.g. H.M.) still perform working memory
tasks?  I think the answer is yes, he can hold information on-line for the moment.
Unless he continues to rehearse it or is distrated, the info can be maintained, but
shortly after it rapidly decays.  Perhaps the hippocampal role in WM is to carry
the contents of WM in to LTM.

Just a hypothesis