UPJOHN'S DRUG XANAX ON TRIAL

Harmon dontspamme at spam.not
Tue Mar 24 06:26:15 EST 1998

Steven B. Harris <sbharris at ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<6f7ktr$3h3 at dfw-ixnews12.ix.netcom.com>...
> In <6f6ep6$ctt$1 at netnews.upenn.edu> weinecks at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
> (Silke-Maria  Weineck) writes:
> >Actually, afaik, there are ways to predict how you will react to a
> certain
> >dose of digitalis, to mention just an example.

>     Well, you don't know what you're talking about.  The same dose of
> digitalis will produce different blood levels in different patients,
> and even at different times of the day or week, depending on
> bioavailability, renal clearance, liver metabilism, and so on.  And
> it's worse: two people with the same blood levels will have totally
> different effects, from heart block to nausea to visual changes,
> depending on age, genetic factors, constitution, nutrition, history of
> prior heart or gut disease, and other reasons we haven't discovered
> yet.

Actually, there are ways to predict how people will react to drug doses.
They are:

ED50 - effective dose in 50% of test population
LD50 - lethal dose in 50% of test population
TD50 - toxic dose in 50% of test population
TI - therapeutic index - measures drug safety, measured by LD50/ED50 or
TD50/ED50.

--
Sue Harmon
SOLUTION