UPJOHN'S DRUG XANAX ON TRIAL

Steven B. Harris sbharris at ix.netcom.com
Tue Mar 24 01:47:23 EST 1998

In <6f6ep6$ctt$1 at netnews.upenn.edu> weinecks at mail2.sas.upenn.edu
(Silke-Maria  Weineck) writes:

>:    Except that there is no way to predict perfectly in advance how
>: anyone will react to a drug.
>
>Actually, afaik, there are ways to predict how you will react to a
certain
>dose of digitalis, to mention just an example.

    Well, you don't know what you're talking about.  The same dose of
digitalis will produce different blood levels in different patients,
and even at different times of the day or week, depending on
bioavailability, renal clearance, liver metabilism, and so on.  And
it's worse: two people with the same blood levels will have totally
different effects, from heart block to nausea to visual changes,
depending on age, genetic factors, constitution, nutrition, history of
prior heart or gut disease, and other reasons we haven't discovered
yet.

   Use some digitalis on patients, listen to them, get some experience,
and we'll talk.  Until then, you're just a troll putting up stuff you
think should be true, and which doubtless is true in your own
obscessive little mental world.  Which bears no relation to reality.

                                           Steve Harris, M.D.