UPJOHN'S DRUG XANAX ON TRIAL

Hirsch Davis hdavis at nospam.com
Fri Mar 27 12:11:30 EST 1998

On 26 Mar 1998 00:36:58 GMT, shapere at mit.edu (H. E. Shapere) wrote:

[snip]
>I have just learned that the "anxiety attacks" I've been having are panic
>attacks.  I experience pounding heart, hyperventilation, tremors, a feeling
>that I need to leave or hide, and a change in perception called derealization.
>
>Is there something that helps to stop a panic attack once it starts, or
>prevent one if you know the signs that one is coming on?
>
>-elizabeth

There are cognitive coping mechanisms you can try.  You might want to
try a psychologist who does Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

For short-term medical relief, the benzos are your best bet.  IMO
Xanax is the best med around for stopping a panic attack in its
tracks.

In the long-term, many of the anti-depressants are effective against
panic disorder, but they won't have an immediate effect.  Even on ADs,
a supplementary benzo is useful for those attacks that still get
through.

If you are having panic attacks, you need to be evaluated by a doc
that is skilled in the treatment of anxiety disorders.

Best wishes,

Hirsch

address in header has been changed to avoid junk mail
please substitute erols for nospam in my reply-to address to reach me