Diagramming Robust AI

Patrick Juola patrick at gryphon.psych.ox.ac.uk
Mon Mar 30 04:07:24 EST 1998

In article <351F0121.40D9 at interaccess.com> joda at interaccess.com writes:
>Jerry Avins wrote:
>>
>> Phil Roberts, Jr. wrote:
>> >
>> > Riddle (#2):  Why is FORTH called FORTH?
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> >                Phil Roberts, Jr.
>> >
>> > Feelings of Worthlessness and So-Called Cognitive Science
>> >         http://www.geocities.com/Athens/5476
>>
>> C is called C because it was intended to B, code that ran on the machine
>> used for development. Forth is called that because it came after
>> something like Third, and Moore's system couldn't take 6-character
>> names. If I'm so smart, how come I don't know why they named me
>> Jeremiah?
>>

>C was the sequel to B.  There was ambiguity as to whether C's successor
>should be D, or another specific letter (Which letter, and why?).
>Because of that ambiguity, the successor was named C++, which signifies
>that successor, whichever it is :).

Well, sort of.

(The letter was, if I recall properly, P).

C++, however, wasn't supposed to be a successor to C -- it was just
a little hack job put atop C.  The name is actually a geek-pun of classic
form, as C++ actually compiled to C, one could argue that the CC compiler
simply "incremented C and returns the old value".

	-kitten