Diagramming Robust AI

Hans Moravec hpm at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Mar 30 21:27:57 EST 1998

billm:
> I think we're as likely to see C++ replaced by something better
> in the mainstream software industry as we are to see Intel
> processors replaced by something better in the mainstream
> desktop market, though.

I don't know if you consider it better, but native compilers
for Java are now appearing. (The new Metrowerks CodeWarrior
handles Java very portably: the same source can be compiled for
various OS's for PowerPC and Intel systems.)

I'm about to switch to Java.  Many in this community already
have.  With luck, our programs will be platform independent
up to and including conventional user interaction. (Robot
sensors and actuators will still need special drivers)