qEEG and depression

Jack Nitschke jnitschk at DX.PSYCH.UIUC.EDU
Tue May 5 10:34:16 EST 1998

>         There is a very wide variation in EEG amplitudes in
>      healthy people and about 10 % have almost no visible EEG
>      activity recordable from the scalp (of which I am one,
>      as was Grey Walter). This is thought to be a genetic
>      factor (Eischen et al 1995). One study has found a
>      relationship between low voltage alpha, regarded as  a
>      genetically determined trait, and anxiety disorder,
>      particularly when associated with alcoholism (Enoch et
>      al.
>
>      There is no significant difference in resting EEG
>      amplitudes between healthy and depressed adults (e.g.
>      Chrtistine et al, 1998)

The reference here should be Larson et al (Christine is her first name).
Actually, a number of studies coming out of that lab (and others) have
found differences in EEG amplitudes between healthy and depressed
adults, especially for anterior regions (for review, see Davidson, 1992,
in Brain and Cognition).

>      Some clinical studies using new, often complex, analysis
>      techniques do show significant differences between
>      diagnostic groups. As with so much of EEG
>      interpretation, this does not help the specific
>      diagnosis of an individual patient.
>
>      John Shaw
>
>      Enoch, M.A., et al (1995) Relationship of genetically
>      transmitted alpha EEG traits to anxiety  disorders and
>      alcoholism. American Journal of Medical Genetics, 60,
>      400-408
>
>      Eischen, S.E., et al (1995) Spectral analysis of EEG
>      from families. Biological Psychology, 41, 61-8
>
>      Christine, L. et al (1998) Relations between PET-derived
>      measures of thalamic glucose metabolism and EEG alpha
>      power. Psychophysiology, 35: 162-169.

Again, "Larson, C. et al..."

--

-Jack